Sunday 28 July 2013

The dust settles - Tournament Wrap up

Well, just back from the tournament, of the five games played, there were four pretty solid defeats and a close fought win and I mean close fought. A few things I noticed while there of the 8 people taking part (there were meant to be 12, but 3 no showed and a player volunteered to drop out to even out the numbers) 4 of those players (including myself) played using Khador, there was my list that I posted previously, a player using an Old Witch, eIrusk combo (the overall winner), a player with just Strakhov's tier list (and two min Assault Kommando sqauds as reinforcements) and a pVlad, Strakhov player. Now I'm pretty sure that the vast opinion of most people who have played Khador wouldn't have put money on Strakhov being featured in a torurnament let alone twice.



Personally I find him to be a fun, fast caster with the ability to catapult his army forward fast and while I hadn't given much though to him being a caster I'd use at a tournament due to being told that pIrusk was a better choice, having experienced a tournament for myself, I'm rethinking this and came up with a new list combination, Strakhov and Old Witch. Having played against Old Witch I've since how well she can mince infantry and with a well built list she's capable of taking on the heavy weights too, the only thing she doesn't seem to answer so well  is Gun lines, Cygnar ignore Stealth, one of Witch's best survival techniques, Retibution have Phatom Seeker, ignoring LOS, making cloud generation redundant and finally Menoth have so many blasts available to them that they really could care less how hard it is to hit you they'll kill you with stray blasts anyway.

On the other hand Strakhov relies upon being getting the Alpha strike and doing enough damage to limit reprisals, which his feat is excellent for. On top of this his spells lend themselves to opening up charge lanes, or just ensuring models get across the board (Occultation, Overrun) or slow your opponent (Rift, Sentry to an extent), also his abilities lend themselves to a fast hit and run approach, such as Sprint, with a charge attack he's likely to trigger it then move out of range of an opposing counter attack. As for the big stuff, while Old Witch cant handle it Strakhov tends to move too fast to be in a position for the heavies lock him down, for a good example of this see my first battle report, essentially Strakhov, sprang back and forth with his army in tow, this having seen the tournament scene properly now, seems to be a good way to on the offensive. I will not deny that both pIrusk and Zerkova are both solid warcasters, pIrsuk is arguably the best infantry caster available to Khador and is always one to reach for for that turn of 4+ tough among other things. Like wise, Zerkova is a brilliant answer to gunline armies as her feat takes away their shots and stops any special tricks other than built in abilities, which I found to be invaluable in the one game I won, as it allowed my Kayazy assassins to close and charge fire free. However for now, I feel an itch that I must scratch and return to playing Strakhov and take Old Witch out for a spin.

Just a quick heads up for some upcoming posts, there'll be a painting tutorial (or two if I can get my friend to do another) being put up in the next month, as well as the photos of the third and forth month's journeyman armies as well as both of my tournament armies (one happens to be an expanded version of my month five journeyman army, so I'm not going to double post it). So there's plenty coming up to make up for the past month's lack of anything being put up and it'll be coming thick and fast. Thanks again for reading and supporting the blog, maybe one tournament you may face me in person, only time will tell, till next time ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment