Friday 22 April 2016

Plastic Gorlar/Kodiak kit unboxing

So after a long wait we've finally got our new Vengeance jack - the Grolar in kit form boxed together with one of my jacks of choice, the Kodiak and in the drive towards Mark 3 I went out and picked up one and decided to do a mini unboxing post, with a little of my painting process thrown in for good measure.

So to start the box (see left) contains a bag of sprues, unlike the Clam jack box (Devestator, Demolisher and Spriggan) and the Heavy jack kit (Juggernaut, Marauder, Destroyer and Decimator) where the pieces were in a plastic contain with main parts all in separate areas. I gotta say PP have really done a nice job on this new plastic, I'd heard they'd changed it from the aforementioned kits and they weren't wrong. There are barely any mould lines visible and the plastic is nice to work with especially if you're used to the likes of GW kits in which case it's the same only scaled up some. Also the set comes with the standard colour stat cards and an instruction sheet that runs you through the steps of building the jack chassis and the the alternate builds for both jack load outs.
So damn nice, seriously
So in the picture you can see the sprues, two of which make up the upper chassis and the lower chassis, then there's a sprue unique to each jack (the top one in the picture is the Kodiak's to the right is the Grolar's). As I mentioned before there are some very clear nicely laid out instructions on how everything goes together, since the arms are a little more complex than the other kits this was quite a relief, even more helpful each piece is numbered on the sprue, making the instructions even easier to follow, I'm interested to see if this carries through into other models potentially units too, though having built a full compliment of Winter Guard Infantry and Weapon Attachments, I'm not sure that'll be necessary as they are pretty straight forward to put together.
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/6/16/113704_sm-Sorscha%20Artwork%20Color%20Scheme%20.JPG
Sorscha and her 'litte' friend

 So having figured the arms and other parts out here's a finished Grolar, I found that most the parts fit pretty snuggly together, so long as you file off the bits from the sprue, (I messed up on on of the sets of shoulder spikes, but everything else went together fairly easily). As it's the first model I've made in a while I opted to go for a different colour scheme to the other jacks I've made up till now basing it upon the picture of Sorscha and a Destroyer in the faction book, partly to make it stand out (like the hammer and autogun didn't already XP), partly due to the name being derived from the Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid and being people of the Snowy wintery variety I felt it appropriate to have a jack in a more winter friendly colour scheme.

All in all I've got to say I had a lot of fun putting the jack together, much as I enjoyed the quick fits of the older Mk 2 kits, I did enjoy taking my time on this, clocking in at about an hour, properly removing mould lines, dry fitting and just generally getting the feel of how everything fit together. 
White and metal, cold just like Khador :)
I'm feeling really quite positive about the newer jack kits PP is bringing out, like the Beserker chassis due out in July (though I will say I feel there'll be several conversion's on the Mad Dog's Kitchen Knife, I mean... Gladius, purely as it looks a little on the small side, but that's just my opinion on it, still shield cannons on a jack are always nice) and I can whole heartedly recommend this as a good purchase even as a hobbyist, the kit is a dream to work with if you're careful and on the tabletop both jacks have plenty of potential. Keep your eyes open for the Grolar analysis post coming shortly, till that keep rolling Komrades :)





 

Work in progress, but such a nice way to come back to the system

No comments:

Post a Comment